Attorney Jennifer Harwood Ruhl
Jennifer Harwood Ruhl is a New Jersey personal injury and wrongful death attorney at Keefe Law Firm. She concentrates her practice in the areas of complex mass tort and class actions, as well as personal injury, and wrongful death litigation. She has extensive experience with cases involving product defects, civil rights and nursing home litigation.
Education and Awards
Jennifer earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and a Bachelor of Science degree in the Administration of Justice from Rutgers University in 1997. She then received the prestigious Presidential Scholarship to Seton Hall University School of Law. She achieved her Juris Doctorate degree in 2001.
Upon graduating from law school, Jennifer earned bar admissions in the states of New Jersey and New York. She then spent time clerking for the Honorable Edmond M. Kirby, J.S.C. in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Essex County.
Jennifer is currently a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association and the New Jersey Association for Justice as well as the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association. She is also a part of the American Association for Justice and the National Trial Lawyers Association. In addition, she was appointed as a Trustee to the New Jersey State Bar Association Women in the Profession Section in 2014.
In 2013, the New Jersey Law Journal named Jennifer one of the “New Leaders of the Bar”. This honor is awarded to only 50 attorneys in the State of New Jersey. Additionally, the National Trial Lawyers Association selected her as one of the “Top 40 Attorneys Under 40” in New Jersey. She has also consistently been named a “New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Star” by New Jersey Monthly Magazine. This publication honors only 2.5 percent of all lawyers in New Jersey annually.
She currently resides in Freehold, New Jersey with her husband and two children.
Notable Cases in Personal Injury Law
Over the course of her career, Jennifer has achieved numerous settlements and verdicts on behalf of her clients. These successful cases include several settlements in excess of one million dollars for victims of asbestos exposure and mesothelioma. Jennifer also obtained a multi-million dollar settlement in a wrongful death case on behalf of a minor child who tragically lost his mother in a fatal car crash. This settlement is expected to net four million dollars over the course of his lifetime.
In addition to her personal injury practice, Jennifer has successfully handled civil rights cases for our firm. Jennifer achieved a $785,000 verdict in June 2014 for a client who was the victim of false arrest and imprisonment.
- New Jersey, 2001
- New York, 2002
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2002
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey, 2001 – J.D.
- Honors: Presidential Scholarship
- Law Journal: Seton Hall Constitutional Law Journal, Member, 1999 – 2001
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick, 1997
- B.A., Political Science
- B.S., Administration of Justice
- Honors: Criminal Justice Honor Society
- Honors: Dean’s List
Awards and Honors:
- “New Leaders of the Bar,” New Jersey Law Journal, 2013
- “40 under 40,” National Trial Lawyers, 2012, 2013, 2014
- New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2007-2014
- Cohen, Placitella & Roth, P.C., Associate, 2007 – 2009
- Martin, Kane & Kuper, Associate, 2002 – 2007
- The Honorable Edmond M. Kirby, J.S.C., Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division, Essex County, Law Clerk 2001 – 2002
- The Honorable Barnett E. Hoffman, J.S.C., Superior Court of New Jersey, Criminal Division,
- Middlesex County, Intern 1996-1997
- “Plaintiff’s Personal Injury From Start to Finish,” National Business Institute, November 2013
- “Successfully Litigating New Jersey Wrongful Death Cases,” Lawline/ FurtherEd, June 2013
- “Using the Internet to Improve Your Practice,” New Jersey State Bar Association Mid-Year Meeting in Ireland, November 2011 and Somerset County Bar Association, Marathon CLE Day, February 2012
Areas of Practice:
- Complex Mass Tort
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death Litigation
- Products Liability
- Civil Rights
- Nursing Home Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Class Actions
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Women in the Profession Section, Trustee
- Product Liability & Toxic Tort Section, Member
- New Jersey Association for Justice
- Women Trial Lawyers Caucus
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- “40 under 40” National Trial Lawyers
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2007-2014
- Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation, Mesothelioma Ambassador