Christopher J. Keating
Key Practice Areas
- Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- Consumer Fraud
- Wage & Hour
Primary Focus & Experience
Christopher Keating is a passionate advocate who represents clients in a wide range of legal matters in New Jersey and New York. Christopher represents the underdogs in our legal system–those who have been injured or wronged by others and those who have been accused of crimes.
A former Deputy Attorney General, Christopher Keating has years of litigation and courtroom experience, including motion practice and jury trials, pursuing justice for victims and standing up to those who are rarely held accountable for their unlawful actions. At Keefe Law Firm, Christopher’s practice areas include criminal defense, personal injury, consumer fraud, and environmental matters.
Christopher’s personal injury practice includes motor vehicle accidents, sexual abuse, intentional torts, electrocutions, nursing home neglect, and wrongful death actions throughout New Jersey. His criminal defense practice includes all indictable offenses, white collar crimes, and government investigations.
Prior to beginning his defense practice, Christopher served as a Deputy Attorney General with the State of New Jersey Office of the Attorney General – Division of Criminal Justice (“NJOAG”). During his tenure with NJOAG, he collaborated with various state and federal agencies to investigate and prosecute violations of the New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice, including:
- Bias crimes,
- Cyber crimes and computer criminal activity,
- Environmental crimes,
- Firearms offenses,
- Frauds involving public contracts and against government agencies,
- Interstate theft and fraud organizations,
- Money laundering,
- Motor vehicle theft rings,
- Official misconduct and corruption, and
- Violations of labor and wage and hour laws.
His duties with NJOAG also included reviewing investigations of officer-involved shootings and training law enforcement officers on various criminal laws. For his outstanding work combating fraud against government agencies, Christopher has received awards and recognition from the United States Department of Labor and the United States Postal Service.
In State v. Andrews, a criminal matter, Christopher argued before the Supreme Court of New Jersey on behalf of the New Jersey State Bar Association. The issue on appeal was whether a criminal defendant may be compelled to disclose the passcode to his cell phone.
Awards and Recognition
Voted “Young Lawyer of the Year” by the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division.
Selected as a “2020 Top Attorney” by South Jersey Magazine in the practice area of Criminal Law.
Selected to the “2021 New Jersey Rising Stars” Super Lawyers list.
State of New Jersey Office of the Attorney General – Division of Criminal Justice, Trenton, New Jersey
September 2015 – August 2019
Deputy Attorney General
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey
August 2014 – June 2017
Teach for America—Greater Newark Region, Newark, New Jersey
June 2009 – July 2011
Hon. Lisa M. Vignuolo, Superior Court of New Jersey, Family Part, New Brunswick, New Jersey
August 2014 – June 2015
New Jersey State Bar Association
Board of Trustees
- Trustee (January 2019 – Present)
- Criminal Law Section – Chair-Elect (May 2020 – Present); Trustee (May 2017 – Present)
- Young Lawyers Division – Trustee (May 2017 – Present), Member (2015 – Present)
- Government, Public Sector, and Public Interest Lawyers Committee – Member (May 2016 – August 2019)
- Amicus Committee – Vice Chair (appointed May 2020)
- Legislative Committee (appointed January 2020)
- Diversity Committee (appointed May 2018)
- Legal Education Committee (appointed May 2018)
- New Jersey Lawyer Editorial Board (appointed May 2018)
- Editor of the June 2019 “Bail Reform” issue
Camden County Bar Association
- Board of Trustees – Trustee (May 2019 – May 2020)
- Young Lawyers Committee – Chair (May 2019 – May 2020); Member (June 2017 – Present)
- Cherry Hill High School West Mock Trial Team – Attorney Advisor (2016 – 2019)
Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, NJ
Juris Doctor, May 2014
- Journal: Seton Hall Legislative Journal – Notes Editor
- Moot Court: Eugene Gressman Moot Court Competition – Finalist (1st Place Team)
- Honors: Center for Social Justice – Urban Revitalization Scholar
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ
B.A., Cum Laude, Political Science and Journalism & Media Studies, May 2009
- Rutgers University Student Assembly – President
- Cap & Skull Honor Society
- Rutgers University Man of the Year 2008
- Eagleton Institute of Politics – Undergraduate Associate
Appointments and Community Service
- KIPP-NJ Young Leadership Committee, Member, August 2019 – Present
- New Leaders Council, 2019 Fellow
- Saint Peter’s Preparatory School Alumni Board, Member, January 2015 – January 2018
- Eagleton Institute of Politics Alumni Advisory Committee, Member, August 2014 – Present
- Commission on Higher Education, Voting Member (Governor Appointee), July 2008 – June 2009
State of New Jersey
State of New York
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
Editor, Bail Reform, N.J. Lawyer Magazine (2019), available at https://tcms.njsba.com/personifyebusiness/Portals/0/NJL/June%202019_MAG.pdf.
Unpacking Privilege and a Conversation on Intersectionality, October 9, 2020.
Hot Topics in Criminal Law, July 30, 2020.
Ethics in an Epidemic, June 25, 2020.
Thriving in the Law as a Millennial: A Unique CLE Roundtable Designed to Help You to Advance Your Career, January 11, 2020.
Making the Switch: When, Where, Why and How to Transition from Public to Private Practice and Vice Versa, January 7, 2020 (Moderator).
Coach, I’m Ready. Put Me in the Game, May 17, 2019.
What I Wish I Knew, May 15, 2019.