About John E. Keefe, Jr.
John E. Keefe, Jr., a Certified Civil Trial Attorney, has devoted much of his time to civil trial practice throughout the State and Federal Courts of New Jersey specializing in negligence and product liability as well as complex mass tort litigation. John was admitted to the bar in 1990.
Having founded Keefe Law Firm in 1996, John, leads our plaintiffs’ personal injury, mass tort litigation and complex litigation department. He has tried numerous matters to verdict and prosecuted hundreds of cases on behalf of victims of catastrophic loss. He has been appointed by the Superior Court as plaintiffs liaison counsel in an historic consumer fraud national class action, Talalai v. Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. (Docket No.: MID-L-8830-00-MT ) the settlement of which is valued at between one billion ($1,000,000,000) and three billion ($3,000,000,000) dollars to consumers.
John was lead counsel on behalf of plaintiffs in one of the largest pollution cases in New Jersey, Janes v. Ciba Geigy Corporation (Docket No.: MID-L- 1669-01-MT). John served as local counsel in the securities class action litigation, In Re Sears, Roebuck & Co. Securities Litigation (Docket No. 02-C-07527) which resulted in a two hundred and fifteen million dollar ($215,000,000) cash settlement. John recently resolved a complex wrongful death case on behalf of a young widow and small children against New Jersey Transit Corporation for Wrongful Death Caused by Electrocution and Severe Burns for $10,000,000.00 Also, John served as liaison counsel in In Re Royal Dutch/Shell Transport Securities Litigation – (Civil Action No.: 04-374 (JWB)) before Judge Joel Pisano and the Hormone Replacement Therapy Litigation (Docket No.: ATL-2093-04 MT) before Judge Carol E. Higbee.
He has also served as Co-Counsel in a national consumer fraud class settlement in Chicago, Illinois on behalf of thousands of consumers nationwide. Additional matters John has handled include: motor vehicle wrongful death, product liability, disfigurement, total disability, premises liability, burn injuries, worksite OSHA violations, multiple trauma, hospital negligence wrongful death and long term care negligence involving burns and wrongful death.
AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, John earned his B.A. degree from Gettysburg College in 1987 and his Juris Doctor degree at Seton Hall University School of Law in 1990. He is admitted to the Bar of the State of New Jersey, U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey and the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, and Washington D.C.
Additionally, he is currently serving as part of the Transition Team for New Jersey Governor-Elect Phil Murphy.
John was sworn in as the 120th President of the New Jersey State Bar Association in May of 2018. Previously, he served as a trustee of the State Bar and also as the vice chair of the Long-Term Planning Committee. Additionally, he is a member of the association’s Amicus, Finance and Operations, and Meeting Arrangements and Program committees, and the Certified Attorneys Section, as well as being a former chair of its Civil Trial Bar Section.
John has announced that his initiative for his year leading the NJSBA will be “lawyers helping lawyers.” “That notion of openness is really what I want to promote in this coming year,” he said just before taking office. “It’s reflective of who we are as a bar and who we are as a society. It’s not cronyism. This bar is for everyone.”
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey J.D.
- Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania B.A. Major: English
Certification / Specialties
- Certified Civil Trial Attorney, New Jersey Supreme Court, 2004
- Certified Civil Trial Recertification 2010
- New Jersey, 1990
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1990
- District of Columbia, 2005
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 2005
Areas of Practice:
- Aviation Accidents — Plaintiff
- Chemicals & Cosmetics
- Class Actions
- Complex Litigation
- Federal Trial Practice
- Medical Products & Devices
- Motor Vehicle Accidents — Plaintiff
- Pharmaceutical Products
- Premises Liability — Plaintiff
- Property Damage — Plaintiffv
- Slip and Fall — Plaintiff
- State Appellate Practice
- State Trial Practice
- Water & Riparian Rights
- Wrongful Death — Plaintiff
- 99% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Past Employment Positions:
- Hon. Kenneth C. MacKenzie J.S.C., Law Clerk, 1990 – 1991
- Wilentz Goldman & Spitzer, Associate, 1991 – 1996
- Lynch Martin, Co-Managing Partner, 1996-2006
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- New Jersey State Bar Association, 1990 – Present
- Treasurer, Secretary 2013 • Trustee • Member
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey, 1999 – 2010 Past President 2007
- New Jersey State Bar Association, 1990 – Present
- Civil Trial Section Exec. Comm. 1998-Present
- Civil Trial section Chair, 2010-2012
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum: Member
- Monmouth County Bar Association: Member
- Middlesex County Bar Association: Member
- American Association for Justice: Member
- Fellows of the American Bar Foundation New Jersey Chapter
- NJSBA Annual Meeting May 2014: Everything You Need to Know About Successfully Managing Track I & Track II Cases Under the New Mandatory Expedited Handling Program – Civil Trial Bench Bar Conference
- Speaker: Civil Litigation A La Italiana: Rome, Italy November 2013
- “So You Think You Want To Be A Lawyer” Presentation, CBA High School Future Business Leaders of America, October, 2013
- Panelist: Class Action Update, NJAJ Boardwalk Seminar 2013, April 18, 2013
- Moderator: NJSBA Best Practices Civil Trial Bench-Bar Conference, May 18, 2012
- Panelist: Class Action Update, NJAJ Boardwalk Seminar 2012, April 25, 2012
- “So You Think You Want To Be A Lawyer” Presentation, New Egypt High School Business Law Class, May 23, 2011
- Panelist: “Solo Firm Marketing Panel” Seminar: Water Club at the Borgata Hotel Atlantic City, NJ, Solo Firm Marketing Panel, May 18, 2011 – Present
- “Successfully Working with a Special Master for Maximum Results” Webinar: May 3, 2011, May 3, 2011
- Experts by Experts/Class Action Symposium/Hot Topic Seminars, CLE/NJSB, 1998 – 2005
- Environmental Meetings, (Chicago, Illinois), 2005, Panelist
- Natural Resource Damage Cases (Houston, Texas), Panelist
- Hot Tips for Trial Lawyers, New Jersey State Bar Association Boardwalk Seminar, 2001 – 2008