New Jersey Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Fighting for Those Injured in Bicycle Accidents
Bicycling is a hugely popular activity in New Jersey–whether for fun, competition or simply transportation from one place to another. With some 47.5 million U.S. cyclists as of 2017, the cycling trend is on the rise. And, while New Jersey fatal traffic accidents have risen from 2015 through 2017, the number of bicycle fatalities has not increased.
Despite this, many crashes occur between cars/trucks and bicyclists. When these accidents happen, the bicyclist is most at risk for serious injury. Two typical scenarios are the:
- Left-hand turn– in which a car makes a left into the path of a cyclist traveling in the opposite direction. Very often the motorist does not see the cyclist until the last moment.
- Right hook–when a vehicle passes a cyclist who’s riding in the bike lane or right shoulder and turns right–directly into the cyclist’s path.
Other common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Driver Inattention: drivers of cars, trucks and vans texting or otherwise using their cell phones when driving. The same danger applies when cyclists look at their phones and not at the road while riding.
- Failure to Yield: Drivers and bicyclists may not know the traffic laws specific to yielding and right-of way.
- Rider Inattention: Bike riders using headphones may not sense a vehicle coming up behind or alongside them. They may also fail to detect a siren, construction noise or other warning sound indicating a hazard ahead.
- Riding at Night: The highest percentage of fatal bike accidents occur between 6:00 pm through 9:00 pm, regardless of the time of year.
What To Do If You Are Hurt In A Bike Accident
- Follow the same steps as you would in a car accident.
- Don’t admit fault to anyone, and don’t minimize your injuries or your bike damage.
- As soon as you are able, take your bicycle to a reputable bike shop for a complete inspection. If your bike is unrideable, make sure the inspection report states this. You will need this to file a claim with the insurance company.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident or a loved one was killed in an accident, you need an experienced New Jersey bicycle accident lawyer to help you obtain the compensation you deserve to help pay for medical treatment, lost wages and other expenses.
At Keefe Law Firm, our injury lawyers represent bicyclists and their families after serious accidents. We understand that injuries often go beyond bruises, road rash and broken bones to include catastrophes such as:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injury
- Wrongful death
Though you or your loved one may be sidelined by severe injuries and may be facing the stress of mounting medical bills and lost wages and income, you do not have to go down the path of recovery alone.
Bicycle Accident Injury FAQs
What will it cost to file a bike accident lawsuit?
Typically, nothing. A bicycle accident lawsuit or claim falls under the personal injury legal category. In New Jersey, personal injury lawsuits are handled on a contingency basis. This means that all costs and expenses incurred in the case management and handling are paid for by the lawyer or law firm representing the victim. The attorney’s fees and legal expenses are deducted from the settlement or jury award amount when the case is closed. An experienced bicycle accident lawyer will explain this to you in plain english as well as provide the details in writing when he or she is retained to represent you.
When should I file a lawsuit if I am in a bicycle accident?
Personal injury victims must file their claim within the statute of limitations–the timeframe or deadline to file mandated by the state. Generally, New Jersey’s personal injury statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years from the date of the accident. However–it is important to know that there may be other case factors that determine this deadline. So, it is critical that you contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible to ensure the best outcome of your particular matter.
What happens when I file a bicycle accident claim or lawsuit?
When you hire Keefe Law Firm to handle your bicycle crash case, our experienced and skilled attorneys, paralegals and investigators team up to obtain the best possible result for you. Here are the basics of handling your case:
Thoroughly investigate the details of your accident
This includes visiting the scene, confirming the weather and road conditions, photographing the site and its vicinity, interviewing witnesses and reviewing the police report. The final investigation report will provide evidence-based conclusions as to the causes of your accident.
Prepare an assessment of the physical, emotional and financial harm inflicted
Keefe Law Firm will review all of your medical reports, related expenses and insurance coverage to substantiate the extent of damages to yourself and your property. This is a critical step in preparing for settlement negotiations or trial.
Discuss all options with you
Before making any decisions your case strategy, your attorney will explain the intricacies of your matter in plain English. Keefe Law Firm will always ensure you that you completely understand your options and the possible outcomes of your matter.
Completing and filing all necessary insurance paperwork
Keefe Law Firm will handle the completion and on-time filing of all paperwork and documents with insurance companies, healthcare organizations, opposing attorneys and the courts as necessary.
Negotiating tough with the insurance company
From the outset, our attorneys prepare every case for trial and are ready to litigate. This level of preparedness ensures we have an extremely strong negotiation position when dealing with insurance companies.
Trying your case in court
If the insurance company will not settle on a fair and just amount, your attorney may advise bringing the case to trial. He or she will thoroughly prepare you for any court appearances and see the case through to its resolution. All court appearances and trial dates will be scheduled by your Keefe Law Firm team.
Injured In A Bicycle Accident? Get A Free Case Review
At Keefe Law Firm, we stand for our injured clients to attain nothing less than the compensation they deserve. Talk to a Keefe Law Firm lawyer today about your options.